Are you tired of the same old sandwich for lunch? Or do you need a quick and easy snack to take on the go? Look no further than these delicious Corned Beef and Cabbage Handheld Pies! With a savory filling and a flaky crust, these pies are the perfect portable meal or snack.
For the crust:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 6-8 tbsp ice water
For the filling:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 head cabbage, shredded
- 1 lb corned beef, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup beef broth
1. Preheat your oven to 375°F. 2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt. Cut in the vegetable shortening with a pastry blender or fork until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. 3. Gradually add in the ice water, one tablespoon at a time, until the dough comes together and forms a ball. 4. Roll out the dough on a floured surface to about 1/8 inch thickness. Cut out circles with a biscuit cutter or glass, about 4 inches in diameter. 5. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 3-4 minutes. 6. Add the shredded cabbage to the skillet and cook until wilted, about 5-7 minutes. 7. Add the chopped corned beef, salt, and black pepper to the skillet and cook for another 5 minutes. 8. Pour in the beef broth and let simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the liquid has reduced and the filling is thickened. 9. Spoon the filling onto one half of each dough circle, leaving a small border around the edge. 10. Fold the other half of the dough over the filling and press the edges together with a fork to seal. 11. Place the pies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown. 12. Let cool for a few minutes before serving.
1. Can I use a different type of meat for the filling?
Certainly! While corned beef is traditional for this recipe, you can use any type of cooked meat that you prefer, such as roast beef or chopped ham.
2. Can I make the pies ahead of time?
Yes! You can assemble the pies and freeze them before baking. When you’re ready to eat, simply thaw them and bake according to the instructions.
3. Can I use a pre-made pie crust instead of making my own?
Absolutely! If you’re short on time, you can use a store-bought pie crust instead of making your own.
4. Can I add other vegetables to the filling?
Of course! This recipe is very versatile, so feel free to add in any other vegetables that you like, such as carrots, peas, or potatoes.
5. How long will the pies keep?
The pies will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply place them in the oven or microwave until heated through.