Looking for a mouth-watering snack that is easy to prepare and will satisfy your cravings? Look no further than corned beef and cabbage croquettes! This recipe combines the savory taste of corned beef with the fresh flavor of cabbage, creating a delicious and crunchy snack that is perfect for any time of day. In this article, we will guide you through the process of making these delectable croquettes step-by-step, so you can enjoy this scrumptious snack in no time.
To make corned beef and cabbage croquettes, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 cups of cooked corned beef, diced
- 2 cups of boiled cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup of mashed potatoes
- 1 cup of bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
Now that you have your ingredients, let’s get started on making the croquettes!
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the corned beef, cabbage, mashed potatoes, bread crumbs, eggs, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Mix all the ingredients until they are well-combined and form a thick, sticky mixture.
- Using your hands, form the mixture into small croquette shapes, about 2 inches in diameter.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Carefully place the croquettes into the hot oil and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the croquettes from the pan and place them on a paper towel to drain any excess oil.
- Serve the croquettes hot and enjoy!
While the classic corned beef and cabbage croquettes recipe is delicious on its own, there are many variations you can try to mix things up. Here are just a few ideas:
- Add shredded cheddar cheese to the mixture for an extra cheesy flavor.
- Swap out the cabbage for sautéed onions or mushrooms for a different texture and taste.
- Try using sweet potatoes instead of regular mashed potatoes for a touch of sweetness.
- For a healthier option, bake the croquettes in the oven instead of frying them.
1. Can I use canned corned beef instead of fresh?
Yes, you can use canned corned beef instead of fresh. Just be sure to drain any excess liquid before adding it to the mixture.
2. Can I make the croquettes ahead of time?
Absolutely! You can make the croquettes ahead of time and store them in the refrigerator for up to two days. When you’re ready to eat them, simply fry them up as directed.
3. Can I freeze the croquettes?
Yes, you can freeze the croquettes for up to three months. Just be sure to let them cool completely before placing them in an airtight container or freezer bag.
4. Can I use a different type of meat?
Yes, you can use a different type of meat if you prefer. Ground beef or turkey would both work well in this recipe.
5. What can I serve with the croquettes?
Corned beef and cabbage croquettes are delicious on their own, but you can also serve them with a variety of dipping sauces, such as ranch, honey mustard, or barbecue sauce. They also pair well with a side salad or roasted vegetables for a complete meal.